I love a good multi-tasking product and I have some favorites I would like to share with you all. Starting with skin, I love the Rodan+Fields Micro-Dermabrasion Paste. This multi-tasker is great for exfoliating and brightening up the face but, … Continue reading
My makeup kit is probably one of my most cherished items I own. It’s a collection of products I have tried and love and continue to use all the time. The items that make it into the kit are ones that I personally would use on myself. I have tried so many products it’s ridiculous and I am still experimenting!
Here is a look inside my makeup kit for a flawless healthy glow!
Primarily I will airbrush my clients and my favorite airbrush makeup to date is OCC Cosmetics. It feels weightless, is vegan, water based, and has an incredible staying power! The color system is easy to use as it goes by levels not names of colors and it’s categorized into yellow tones and red tones. Thank you OCC for making it easy!
For when I am not airbrushing, I still love Laura Mercier’s Silk Creme foundation. It is water based, oil-free, flawless coverage, you probably won’t even need to conceal after using it. It also is very cost friendly because one small tube lasts me over a year! Yes, that little tube packs a big punch! All you need is a dime sized amount to do the entire face and blend down onto the neck. It also has a little bit of a light reflecting property to give you subtle glow.
My budget friendly pick right now is the Revlon Photo Ready makeup. It’s a dupe of Makeup4Ever’s HD makeup. They have a nice color range and it films really well.
Now, for most days I wear my good ol’ Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. In the summer I am in the oil-free version and winter I like the illuminating. The colors I keep on hand are Nude, Sand, and Bisque and Warm and Natural in the illuminating.
I love my Laura Mercier Secret Camoflauge for myself but, sometimes I find that I don’t have enough colors to work with so I also use my BH Cosmetics concealer palette. I think it’s great for contouring and cream cheek color as well. The colors are in a great variety and it works well with airbrush makeup.
I love my Laura Mercier Shimmer Blocks in Peach Mosaic and Golden Mosaic. I also love Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks. These are so beautiful on top of cheek bones and great as eyeshadows. Remember a little goes a long way! Too much sheen can look gray and ash.
My favorite category! I have used Laura Mercier’s Warm Bronze Mineral Powder as a bronzer for years. It has the perfect glow and color for most warm skin tones. I also love Nars Laguna, this works on everyone and it’s not too warm. Otherwise, I will use the BH Cosmetics concealer palette to contour and bronze.
My first love in cheek color is the infamous Nars Orgasm. However, I have found a new love in Laura Mercier’s Sweet Mandarin mixed with Lush Nectarine. Best combo I have found so far! Other cheek colors I love is Natural by Trish McEvoy and Jolie ( I hope she still makes them).
This is constantly updating and I will keep posting updates as it changes!
PS, I only use HD powder for setting clients because I know it won’t alter the makeup underneath.
Hello! I hope all of you had a wonderful week!
I wanted to write a post about bridal makeup because we are in the beginning of wedding season and it’s my busiest time of year. If you are a bride on a budget and cannot hire a makeup artist I wanted to give you some tips on how to look flawless on your wedding day and products that can help you do achieve that. For the list of products see the bottom of post.
1.Flawless Foundation and Powder
Remember that HD cameras can show a lot more than they used to. Makeup that is HD ready is very important. Things like foundation and setting powder that say they are HD will help filter out imperfections that a HD camera can pick up. I love my Makeup Forever HD setting powder and E.L.F HD undereye setting powder. I use them to set airbrush foundation on my brides and undereye concealer. If you are not using airbrush makeup, you can use any fuller coverage foundation just make sure it has NO SUNSCREEN!! Sunscreen is made to reflect sun rays off so any flash from a camera is going bounce off too and make you look white. A foundation that I will use if not doing airbrush would be Laura Mercier’s Silk Creme Foundation. It has amazing coverage and usually you don’t need face concealer after applying it.
2. Take up a Notch
Say you want a “natural look”, you still have to take your makeup up about 3 times what you would normally apply so that it looks “natural” on camera. Otherwise, it won’t even show up. Plus, you want those guests sitting way in the back to be able to see your pretty face! More makeup makes that a lot easier. So, even if you feel like it’s too much makeup in person for your normal look it will look better on camera. So, pile on that blush and eye makeup! I also always recommend false eyelashes. They look amazing in pictures!
3. Colors to Avoid
There are a few rules when picking out your colors for wedding makeup. Try to not do only browns for your eyeshadow, they can film kind of muddy so, by adding some neutral plums and warm pinks it softens the makeup. For cheek color, you want that peachy pink cheek. It looks amazing in pictures and you will get that “blushing bride” glow.
4. Keep it Matte
Matte makeup looks really soft and pretty. Adding too much gleam or shimmer can makeup you look shiny or greasy and no one wants that. Plus, it will wear a little better. Put a little highlight on top of the cheek bones and under the eyebrow but, other than that just keep it soft and matte. If you are unsure it your makeup is matte just look at it and see if it has any light reflective properties like mica. A little is fine, if it’s layer on top of layer that can give you that “white face” look too on film.
5. Don’t Be So Dramatic
If your wedding theme is drama then it’s okay to wear dark gothic eyes and red lips or if that’s your signature style. God only knows I love dramatic eyes and hot lips! That’s fun makeup to apply! However, for a wedding it can be a bit much if your wedding is on a Saturday afternoon outside. Play up on either eyes or lips because this will create a balance. If you want to wear a beautiful red lip then wear a softer eye with winged out black liquid liner. This is a classic look that is one of my favorites on brides. If you love your eyes and that’s your focus you can do a dramatic eye and a softer more neutral lip. Just make sure there is color on the lips because the flesh colors makeup you look like you have no lips on camera.
I hope that this post is helpful to all you beautiful brides-to-be! Congrats on your upcoming weddings! It is such a great experience for me as a makeup artist to help get to be apart of such a special time in a couples life. Remember that pictures are what you are going to have to help remind you of your special day and that is why makeup is so important. You want to have amazing pictures and makeup can definitely ruin them. Below is a list of products that I absolutely love for brides. Feel free to ask me questions too if you need a little more guidance than this short post.
Foundation: Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation
Powder: MakeUPForever HD Setting Powder and E.L.F Cosmetics HD Undereye Setting Powder.
Bronzer/Contour: Nars Laguna
Cheeks: Sweet Mandarin by Laura Mercier or Trish McEvoy Natural Cheek Color
Eyes: Chocolate Guanache by Napoleon Perdis, Black Plum by Laura Mercier, Rocked by Concrete Minerals, Troublemaker by Concrete Minerals, Sable by Laura Mercier, Topaz by Laura Mercier, Baroque by Laura Mercier. Those a some of them! I have too many that I can’t remember but, it’s a good guide on the colors I like to use.
Lips: I have too many to name because I am always looking for the next perfect lipcolor. Right now, I like using L’Oreal’s Infalliable lipsticks because they look creamy and not dry and wear a really long time. I like color number 423 for the natural lips or 814 for a darker natural lip. If you like pink I like 121 or 145. If you like coral try 479. For red I love Seduction by Laura Mercier for a orangy red or True Red by Laura Mercier.
I am a huge beauty junkie! So, when the beauty sample programs came out like Birchbox I had to sign up! Since, then I have also subscribed to The Lookbag that is by The Lookstore.com. For only $10 a month I get a shipment of beauty samples to test, try, and discover. I have found so many must haves from these programs that I would not have known about if not for these beauty boxes. Plus, I always have travel beauty options.
This month I got my Look Bag and Birchbox on the same day! It really is more fun than going beauty shopping. The great thing about them coming on the same day is that I get to compare my first reactions to the products inside. There were upsides and downsides to both this time.
This month they sent out eco conscious products inspired by Earth Day. I loved this theme! I think that products should be more pure. I haven’t had a chance to use all the products yet but, what I have I really do like. Here is what came in the box:
Willa Cleansing Towels: There was a set of 10. I am going to use these in my makeup kit! I am excited about that. I usually use the Burt’s Bees cleansing towels so, it will be nice to try something different.
Befine Fine Food Skincare: There were 3 samples of the Exfoliating Cleanser with Brown Sugar, Sweet Almond and Oats. There were also 2 samples of the Daily Moisturizer with Rosemary, Pomegranate and Rice. I love the cleanser! I haven’t tried the moisturizer yet for fear that I may break out.
Taylor Swift’s Wonderstruck Perfume: I really like this fragrance and I am not usually a fan of celebrity endorsed fragrances.
Dropps Laundry Detergent: This was the one item that I felt didn’t fit. I want beauty samples not household items. In a pinch, if I run out of laundry soap I will be glad to have it but, I make my own laundry soap and will probably never run out. I think it was an eco friendly item that was for Earth Day. That’s cool and all, I just would rather have my beauty samples.
This is my second month of TheLookBag and I am really enjoying this program too! I have discovered so many beauty products that I have never heard about through this one. I have even ordered a few of the products because I loved them so much. TheLookBag was started by the founder of E! news and lots of celebrities and beauty bloggers endorsing it. There was a variety of products in this bag that will make you smell amazing from head to toe! Here is what came:
Laura Mercier Perfecting Water Rich: This I was surprised to see because I used to work for Laura Mercier and know that this product got discontinued about 2 years ago. Plus, the packaging got made over since then so, I know that the sample will not ever lead to a purchase. But, I love this product and the Laura Mercier team would put you in another product that is similar.
CoCo cosmetics Jovie Lotion in Jubliee: This smells amazing and feels amazing on the skin! I have about used the whole deluxe sample!
Virga Fragrances: I haven’t had a chance to try this one yet. I will keep you posted if I like it.
Orofluido: This hair serum smells delicious! Again, I haven’t had a chance to use it yet but, will keep you posted if I like it.
Pur~lisse Daily Moisturizer w/ SPF 30: This is for Normal to Dry skin and something I am excited to try. I think we should all be wearing an SPF of atleast 30 everyday. I was glad to see this in the bag! I will keep you posted on whether or not I like it.
Overall, this was a great month for the beauty sample programs! I look forward to May. I would love to see some bronzer samples or eye color samples as we move into the warmer months and will be sporting more of a bronzed glow. We shall see!
To subscribe to these programs go to:
I get a lot of questions about acne. I can really relate because I have been battling it since my twenties. Thank you hormones!! Instead of just posting to my Facebook page and having to limit the number of characters I decided to blog about it. I wish that I had a cure. I really don’t think there is a cure and it’s weird how everyone seems to react/respond differently to treatments. Here are some tips for you to try and see if they can help you. I know that they definitely help me.
Heal from the inside out:
1. Put yummy healthy fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and oils in your diet. These will all help with your skin. The saying “You are what you eat” really does to apply to how we look on the outside not just in our waistline but on our skin too.
2. Avoid caffeine! I know this is a stinker! I have the hardest time with this one too. However; when I do limit my caffeine my skin really does look amazing.
3. Water. We really do need to drink the about of water they recommend. If you replace things you are drinking with water daily you will see a very healthy glow to your skin. Remember it’s 8, 8oz. glasses of water a day.
4. Try and cut out gluten. I recently found out I have an intolerance to gluten and I would never recommend going completely gluten free unless you asked your doctor because this is not a diet. Since, eliminating it in my diet I noticed a HUGE improvement in my skin.
Look at the ingredients in your cosmetics:
1. Make good choices in makeup and skincare. I am not saying you have to go out and buy really expensive makeup, I am saying choose products just like you would choose your food.
2. You want products that are dermatologist tested, won’t clog pores, no parabens, mica, titanium dioxide, dimethicone, and oil free. Why? These products are not good for you and can cause skin reactions. These are even in the most expensive makeup products. I would choose products that are vegan, gluten free, oil free, not tested on animals (personal choice, nothing to do with skin), and so on.
3. Basically, read up on ingredients and become informed of what you are putting on your skin.
Basic Skincare Tips:
1. NEVER forget to wash your face at night! Our skin heals over night so, it is important to get the most out of this time.
2. You don’t need a million different steps. Choose what works for you. If washing your face and putting on a serum works for you do that. Just make sure you are not stripping your skin of oils. If you do that you will end up producing more than normal.
3. Try some the baking soda mask once a week. I found this on Pinterest and swear by it. 3 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of water, make into a paste and apply to skin. Leave it on 5-10 minutes then rinse with warm water. It really brightens the skin! I even do it to the hubby and he likes it!
1. Remove makeup with either Burt’s Bee’s cleansing towelettes or Burt’s Bees Citrus Scrub. On eyes, I use a homemade witch hazel and organic olive oil. It’s about half of each in a bottle and shake before use.
2. Wash face with Shea Terra Organics Rose Hips Black Soap
3. Tone with my homemade Witch Hazel and Tea Tree Oil. Make sure the witch hazel is alcohol free and add a few drops of tea tree oil.
4. Resist Intensive Wrinkle Repair Retinol Serum by Paula’s Choice. I freaking love this stuff and it’s not a million dollars to purchase.
5. I use a pea size amount of raw shea butter, warm it up in my palms and apply to my face. This has been used for many years to cure all kinds of skin conditions. I can say for myself that it has cleared my skin!
1. I don’t cleanse again, If you are extremely oily you can. I like the Simple line cleanser. I got a free sample and really love it.
2. I use my homemade toner all over.
3. Serum, I like vitamin c serums for the antioxidants. I love Pangea Organics brand for these. I am currently out and missing them greatly.
4. Moisturizer, I like the A.H.A one from Mario Badescu. Then I just add SPF on top. I use nothing less than an SPF of 40+! I like Laura Mercier’s I have never broke out from it.
Basically, to sum it up, be aware of what you are putting in and on your body.
Links to products:
For Shea Terra Organics I got them from my Lookbag I get each month. You can order from Lookstore.com