Like most of the Midwest region right now we are snowed in! Thanks to snow storm Q we have been coated with a blanket of white.
School has been cancelled for two days!
I really do appreciate and treasure days like this because they are rare! It gives us time to bond and catch up since I do work full time and run a business on the side. I look forward to days like this. We can’t go anywhere so we have to be around each other. We get to recharge and build upon our relationships.
Here are some activities you can enjoy if you are snowed in:
1. Play card games. We have been playing a lot of War and Go Fish.
2. Play board games.
3. Craft activities
4. Cooking lessons
5. Or just some good ol’ fashion sledding and snow play outside!
Enjoy days like this! Use the time wisely and creatively!
Enjoy your snow day!!
This blog entry is a full of parenting tips or boredom tips for adults too!
A few hours ago my little boy, Aiden, came up to me and told me he was bored. He is 4 and gets a little stir crazy when playing outside is not an option. Hoping that his boredom does not bring out The Cat in the Hat with Thing 1 and Thing 2 to make our house look a mess, I came up with a list of activities we could do inside. I allowed him to pick them in any order he wanted and we would do them until he wanted to move onto the next project. Now, these are not unfamiliar ideas to anyone, I am just listing them for you to use as a tool or list.
- Make your own crayons. Just melt down some old, small, broken, crayons in either the microwave or oven. I throw ours in the muffin tin and place them into the oven until they melt. I let them set up in the fridge and pop them out when they are solid and let the kids color with them.
- Use those newly made crayons to color in coloring books or make their own creations on paper.
- Give your pet a bath. More than likely, your pet is going to get muddy on a rainy day so, why not teach some responsibility to your children by helping care for your pet. Sometimes, I think they forget how much is involved for caring for pets.
- Bake some yummies with them! Kids love to help out in the kitchen and it’s a good lesson on what goes into food. Plus, it makes the house smell really amazing while your all stuck indoors. It is fun to watch the rain while enjoying your treats.
- Use the current weather as an opportunity to teach kids about severe weather situations and what to do in case of an emergency. I have two friends that work for the American Red Cross and thanks to them they posted a video about how to prepare and what to put in your emergency kits. This was a great lesson for us as parents and the kids. Remind your kids of your family plan in case of an emergency.
- Cuddle up with your family and watch a family movie
- Do some creative art projects
- Gardening lesson, teach them why we need rain to help our baby seedlings grow to produce our vegetables and fruit.
- Give them an empty large box and allow them to use their imagination to create whatever they want to out of it. The boxes are always a hit with the kids. I hardly ever throw boxes away.
- Read some books together. It is always nice to cuddle up and tell stories!
I hope this helps with your little ones on rainy days! Below I will post the link to the video my friends put up for The American Red Cross for you to get prepared in case of an emergency. Thanks for reading!